Tuesday, May 8, 2007

confuse, abuse, refuse

Goddammit. My taste in music is so lame. On my commute home from work today I switched from the usual NPR blather to the CD player. I realized I've had the same goddam CDs in my 6-disc changer for about six months. Oh, it's not like they were in there and I wasn't listening to them and then "rediscovered" them. Oh, no. I listen again and again to the same shit. (They happen to be Cat Stevens, Front 242 which I unearthed at some used CD store, Tori Amos mix, Sarah McLachlan, Coldplay and the Cure--Bloodflowers) Part of it is because I'm too fucking lazy to get the disc changer out of the car, hunt down the jewel cases, and select new ones. The latter is the most daunting task of all as I am faced with an embarrasingly outdated collection. Normal people don't even buy CDs anymore, and have these astonishingly complicated gadgets that plug in to the car and crap. I'm so fucking retarded, I even had an iPod for awhile, but gave it away because I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't for lack of trying, but I could only use Joe's computer (also called "The Husband), which he hates because he is certain I will inadvertently erase entire manuscripts (not an unrealistic fear since I bet he doesn't back his stuff up). It seemed to take a damn hour to download one measly song, at which time I hear Joe yelling, "what are you doing now? get off of there!" So I couldn't deal and figured I'd get all my CDs on ebay. My inattentiveness and laziness guarantee I do not discover any new bands, and thus I rely on old familiar bands to keep putting out new shit, such as the Cure, or Foo Fighters, or Tori Amos. And how many Bob Marley remixes will they come up with? The last new band I discovered was John Pryne, who is old. I'm even too lazy to listen to old artists' new shit. I bought the new Tori last Tuesday, fully a week ago, and still have not listened to it. Why? Yep, too much of a loser to go out to the car and get the disc changer. At least I took it out of the wrapper and admired the collector's edition bonus postcards. Somebody help me, and email me a list of decent music, with exactly which albums to buy, so I can get out of the pathetic rut. I'm too ashamed to listen to the Violent Femmes yet again.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I can't help much, as I have very few albums from this decade. And yeah, I still call them albums. I'm pathetic.