Monday, June 6, 2011

Gianna gets a haircut.



I realize it's been awhile since I've visited my blog, but apparently I've forgotten how to upload a picture so that it's at the top. I'm sick of messing with it so I guess it's going to be at the bottom. Gianna got her first hair cut last week (more like a trim), which she took very seriously indeed. For $20, she got the full treatment: shampoo, trim, and style. It was so cute how she solemnly sat in rapt attention, never flinching at the tugging of the comb and brush. At home, I only brush her hair every couple of days. She doesn't like it and I usually have to hold her down, or more commonly, bribe her. I thought if we lopped off an inch or two, it would be easier to brush, but nothing is easy to do to a toddler if she doesn't want it done. Plus, I was too wimpy to have Kim whack off more than an inch or so, since Gianna's curls are so beautiful. On another topic, I have 3 more weeks of work, then I'm gearing up for a whopping, unprecedented (or nearly so) 3 full weeks off work. Our massive plans involve DRIVING to Wyoming, spending a few days over the 4th with family, and then flying to Kauai'i for 10 days, get this, withOUT our daughter! I'm feeling a little trepidation about the latter, because we've never left her alone for even one night (except on Joe's 50th b-day, but she stayed overnight with her very trusted nanny), much less 10 nights. And guiltily, I'm looking forward to some time "off" from a toddler. ALL of my friends in the area who have children also have family around to help them out. These friends constantly show up at BBQs, girls-night-out, etc kidless because they can just drop junior off at grandma's house. Want to attend that Tuesday night book club/class/happy hour? No problem! Want to snag some drinks on Friday? No problem! Joe and I, on the other hand, must either go out without each other (while the other stays home with Gianna), or just say "fuck it" and stay home, or bring her with. That's why I like afternoon BBQs or house parties, because they tend to be kid-friendly events. Not fond of movie theaters, art galleries, or happy hours because they are decidedly NOT kid-friendly. This is not to say I will always find art galleries irritating, but at least for the next few years. Anyway, so for 10 solid, uninterrupted days I can sleep in, go to adult places, put on a cute dress, and go out and sip drinks without having to be back in the hotel room by 9:00. So I feel kind of guilty for looking forward to all this, while at the same time I know it's normal and people do it all the time. I just don't want her to feel abandoned, or constantly be asking, "Where's mommy?" Guess we'll just have to call a lot : ). Once we get back, we have a leisurely week to make it back to California.

No comments: